Lightweight Ballistic Composites: Military and Law-Enforcement Applications, Second Edition, is a fully revised and updated version of this informative book that explores the many changes in composite materials technology that have occurred since the book's first release in 2008, especially the type of commercial products used by armed forces around the world.
Some changes can be attributed to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, whereas others are due to massive investment by private companies to neutralize the ever-increasing global threats and fulfill the military's appetite for lighter materials. Soldiers are now better protected against new ballistic threats and the overall weight of body protection has been reduced, while comfort has increased.
New military vehicles are no longer purely armored with steel, and are instead lined with lightweight ballistic materials that increase the distance military vehicles can travel without refueling and also improve maneuverability. The book considers all aspects of lightweight ballistic composites from fiber manufacturing to commercial products and testing.
Chapters also cover the many uses of lightweight ballistic composites in the military and law-enforcement industries. It will be an invaluable reference for ballistic composite design engineers, product development engineers, and all those involved in promoting new products for both defense and the law-enforcement industry.
- Gives comprehensive coverage on all aspects of lightweight ballistic composites, from fiber manufacturing, to commercial products and testing
- Discusses the wider applications of lightweight ballistic composites in military and law-enforcement industries
- Edited by a highly respected industry expert with over thirty years’ experience developing lightweight composite ballistic materials and products
- ISBN: 9780081004258 |
- Hardcover: 482 pages |
- Publisher: Elsevier Science |
- Publication date: Apr 19, 2016 |
- Language: English |
- Format: Ebook