A fast-paced guide to get you up and running with Swift 3 and its new features
About This Book
- Get up to date with the latest changes to Swift 3
- Make your life easier by knowing how to port your Swift code to the latest version
- Learn how to write programs that work on most of the major platforms such as iOS and Linux
Who This Book Is For
The book is for those who are familiar with Swift but are in need of clear guidance on what's changed in the latest version and the new features.
What You Will Learn
- Migrate a Swift 2.2 project to Swift 3
- Understand the workings of Swift Package Manager
- Interact with Cocoa libraries when importing Objective C to Swift
- Explore the function and operator changes new in Swift 3
- Work with the advanced type changes, attribute improvements, and floating point type improvements in Swift
- Discover the changes in the Swift API and see how Objective-C can be manipulated in the current API
- Implement the new features central to Swift Testing and understand the new debug features
- Create server-side applications using Swift 3
Since Swift was introduced by Apple in WWDC 2015, it has gone on to become one of the most beloved languages to develop iOS applications with. In the new version, the Swift team aimed to take its adoption to the next level by making it available for new platforms and audiences.
This book will very quickly get you up to speed and productive with Swift 3. You will begin by understanding the process of submitting new feature requests for future versions of Swift. Swift 3 allows you to develop and run your applications on a Linux machine. Using this feature, you will write your first Linux application using the debugger in Linux. Using Swift migrator, you will initiate a conversion from Swift 2.2 to Swift 3.
Further on, you will learn how to interact with Cocoa libraries when importing Objective C to Swift. You will explore the function and operator changes new to Swift 3, followed by Collection and Closure changes. You will also see the changes in Swift 3 that allow you write tests easier with XCTest and debug your running code better with new formats as well. Finally, you will have a running server written completely in Swift on a Linux box.
By the end of the book, you will know everything you need to know to dive into Swift 3 and build successful projects.
Style and approach
The book takes a tutorial-based approach offering an overview of the new features introduced in the latest version of Swift. It includes relevant examples of how code and concepts change when it comes to working on Swift 3 compared to previous versions.
- ISBN: 9781786462718 |
- Hardcover: 142 pages |
- Publisher: Packt Publishing |
- Publication date: Oct 6, 2016 |
- Language: English |
- Format: Ebook