Oracle is an enormous system, with myriad technologies, options, and releases. Most users--even experienced developers and database administrators--find it difficult to get a handle on the full scope of the Oracle database. And, as each new Oracle version is released, users find themselves under increasing pressure to learn about a whole range of new technologies. The latest challenge is Oracle Database 11g.
This book distills an enormous amount of information about Oracle into a compact, easy-to-read volume filled with focused text, illustrations, and helpful hints. It contains chapters on:
- Oracle products, options, data structures, and overall architecture for Oracle Database 11g, as well as earlier releases (Oracle Database 10g, Oracle9i, and Oracle8i)
- Installing, running, managing, monitoring, networking, and tuning Oracle, including Enterprise Manager (EM) and Oracle's self-tuning and management capabilities; and using Oracle security, auditing, and compliance (a new chapter in this edition)
- Multiuser concurrency, data warehouses, distributed databases, online transaction processing (OLTP), high availability, and hardware architectures (e.g., SMP, clusters, NUMA, and grid computing)
- Features beyond the Oracle database: Oracle Application Express, Fusion Middleware (including Oracle Application Server), and database SOA support as a Web services provider
For new Oracle users, DBAs, developers, and managers, Oracle Essentials provides an invaluable, all-in-one introduction to the full range of Oracle features and technologies, including the just-released Oracle Database 11g features. But even if you already have a library full of Oracle documentation, you'll find that this compact book is the one you turn to, again and again, as your one-stop, truly essential reference.
"Oracle Essentials gives a clear explanation of the key database concepts and architecture underlying the Oracle database. It's a great reference for anyone doing development or management of Oracle databases."
--Andrew Mendelsohn, Senior Vice President, Database Server Technologies, Oracle Corporation
- ISBN: 9780596555337 |
- Hardcover: 408 pages |
- Publisher: O'Reilly Media |
- Publication date: Nov 1, 2007 |
- Language: English |
- Format: Ebook