Divided into eight sections encompassing 61 chapters, the book begins with an overview of the basic principles of tumors, including the epidemiology of primary central nervous system tumors, angiogenesis and invasion in cancer, the link between blood-brain barrier and brain edema, and the role of stem cells in gliomas. It proceeds with a discussion of diagnostic tools such as neuroimaging, the principles of tumor therapy such as radiotherapy and immunotherapy, and clinical trials in neuro-oncology. The reader is also introduced to specific tumor types such as low-grade gliomas, anaplastic astrocytomas, and medulloblastoma and primitive neuroectodermal tumors, along with rare brain tumors like neurofibromatosis and other genetic syndromes. Furthermore, the book explains the neurological complications of systemic cancer and complications from treatments.
This volume will appeal to clinicians and neuroscientists as well as researchers who want to gain a better understanding of the clinical features and management of the neurological manifestations of tumors.
* An invaluable resource that includes critical, in-depth insights into recent developments in neuro-oncology
* A fresh perspective on molecular biology, immunology, and other clinical aspects of tumors of the nervous system
* Extensive coverage of tumor management and new therapeutic strategies, including gene therapy and molecularly targeted treatments
* New tactics and therapies that will aid clinicians in their quest to provide optimal care for their neuro-oncological patients
- ISBN: 9780444534958 |
- Hardcover: 488 pages |
- Publisher: Elsevier Science |
- Publication date: Feb 11, 2012 |
- Language: English |
- Format: Ebook