Master PowerCLI to automate all aspects of VMware environments
About This Book
- Leverage PowerCLI to perform administration tasks in a more effective and efficient way
- Escape from daily tedious and repetitive tasks by unleashing the full potential of your creative side through scripting
- Master the intricate workings of PowerShell and PowerCLI through easy and real-life examples
Who This Book Is For
If you are a system administrator with working knowledge of PowerShell and PowerCLI who wants to perform quick and easy scripting but at the same time achieve complex results and write production grade scripts, then this book is for you.
What You Will Learn
- Use GitHub for collaboration and Pester to automate unit tests
- Write advanced reusable functions and dynamic variables and learn about error handling in PowerShell
- Automate ESXi host installation using Auto-Deploy, host profile, and host image
- Implement security best practices in a vSphere data center
- Manage SRM, vCloud Air, and vRealize Operations environments
- Access and utilize vSphere APIs to manage advanced aspects of vSphere and work with .NET view objects
- Utilize REST APIs to manage vRealize Automation environments
- Create a Windows GUI through the use of PowerShell and Sapien PrimalForms CE
Have you ever wished that every morning you could automatically get a report with all the relevant information about your datacenter in exactly the same format you want? Or whether you could automate that boring, exhausting task? What if some crucial task needs to be performed on a regular basis without any error? PowerCLI scripts do all that and much more for VMware environments. It is built on top of the popular Windows PowerShell, with which you can automate server tasks and reduce manual input, allowing you to focus on more important tasks.
This book will help you to achieve your goals by starting with a short refresher on PowerShell and PowerCLI and then covering the nuances of advanced functions and reusable scripts. Next you will learn how to build a vSphere-powered virtualized datacenter using PowerCLI while managing different aspects of the environment including automated installation, network, and storage. You will then manage different logical constructs of vSphere environment and different aspects of a virtual machine.
Later, you will implement the best practices for a security implementation in vSphere Environment through PowerCLI before discovering how to manage other VMware environments such as SRM, vCloud Director and vCloud Air through PowerCLI. You will also learn to manage vSphere environments using advanced properties by accessing vSphere API and REST APIs through PowerCLI.
Finally, you will build a Windows GUI application using PowerShell followed by a couple of sample scripts for reporting and managing vSphere environments with detailed explanations of the scripts. By the end of the book, you will have the required in-depth knowledge to master the art of PowerCLI scripting.
Style and approach
In this book, every topic is explained in a very easy-to-follow fashion with real-life, simple examples so that you get an idea of not only the topic but also the context in which it should be used or where it can be best utilized.
- ISBN: 9781785287084 |
- Hardcover: 430 pages |
- Publisher: Packt Publishing |
- Publication date: Oct 16, 2015 |
- Language: English |
- Format: Ebook