Learn how to build native, cross-platform mapping apps with this comprehensive and practical guide, using the MVVM pattern
About This Book
- Enhance the user experience with the power of ArcGIS runtime SDK for .NET.
- This clear, well segregated book has all the information you need on ArcGIS Runtime SDK. Just name it—this book has it!
- This highly practical book empowers you to build your own custom application!
- Get to know the inner details of ArcGIS Runtime SDK from our experts, in this book written by Ron Vincent, with 24 years' experience in the GIS industry and many in GIS training.
Who This Book Is For
This book caters to long-term users of Esri's technologies that are new to mobile development or are transitioning from older Esri technologies such as ArcGIS Engine. It is also for users who are unfamiliar with Esri or GIS and are in need of a mapping solution for either their desktop or a mobile platform, or both. The book requires knowledge of .NET.
What You Will Learn
- Understand and implement the MVVM pattern using MVVM Light
- Create and add layers from offline and online resources such as ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS for Server
- Create a 2D or 3D map and decide what kind of symbology to use
- Symbolize the layers based on the geometry
- Search and find objects in the layers
- Geocode an address and create a route using an address
- Edit layer objects from online content and offline content
- Test the application using test-driven development and then build and release the application for the intended audience
ArcGIS is a geographic information system (GIS) that enables you to work with maps and geographic information. It can be used to create and utilize maps, compile geographic data, analyze mapped information, share and discover geographic information and manage geographic information in a database.
This book starts by showing you where ArcGIS Runtime fits within Esri's overall platform strategy. You'll create an initial map using the SDK, then use it to get an understanding of the MVVM model. You'll find out about the different kinds of layers and start adding layers, and you'll learn to transform maps into a 3D scene.
The next chapters will help you comprehend and extract information contained in the maps using co-ordinates and layer objects. Towards the end, you will learn to set the symbology, decide whether to use 2D or 3D, see how to implement 2D or 3D, and learn to search and find objects. You'll also get to grips with many other standard features of the Application Programming Interface (API), including create applications and finally testing, licensing, and deploying them. Once completed, you will be able to meet most of the common requirements of any mapping application for desktop or mobile platforms.
Style and approach
This comprehensive book takes a completely practical approach, where every chapter explains the important concepts and demonstrates a practical application of them in a hands-on manner.
- ISBN: 9781785884672 |
- Hardcover: 358 pages |
- Publisher: Packt Publishing |
- Publication date: Jun 30, 2016 |
- Language: English |
- Format: Ebook