From the engagement to the honeymoon, the act of getting married is surrounded with tradition and superstition. In All About Weddings, the ultimate question-and-answer book on matrimony, light is shed on the mysteries behind the rituals and rites of marriage; the past, present, and future of the enduring ceremony are explored worldwide; and the meaning of everything from boutonniere and confetti to woo and wet bargain is explained. Along the way you’ll also discover:
- What is the origin of the word "wedding"
- Why does the bride throw her bouquet?
- What is a shivaree?
- Why are cakes served at weddings?
- Where did the expression "tie the knot" come from?
- Why does a bride have bridesmaids?
- How did the custom of a dowry originate?
- How did "stag parties" originate?
- What is the highest-grossing wedding movie of all time?
- ISBN: 9781459718081 |
- Hardcover: 96 pages |
- Publisher: Dundurn |
- Publication date: Jul 28, 2008 |
- Language: English |
- Format: Ebook