Learn the art of regression analysis with Python
About This Book
- Become competent at implementing regression analysis in Python
- Solve some of the complex data science problems related to predicting outcomes
- Get to grips with various types of regression for effective data analysis
Who This Book Is For
The book targets Python developers, with a basic understanding of data science, statistics, and math, who want to learn how to do regression analysis on a dataset. It is beneficial if you have some knowledge of statistics and data science.
What You Will Learn
- Format a dataset for regression and evaluate its performance
- Apply multiple linear regression to real-world problems
- Learn to classify training points
- Create an observation matrix, using different techniques of data analysis and cleaning
- Apply several techniques to decrease (and eventually fix) any overfitting problem
- Learn to scale linear models to a big dataset and deal with incremental data
Regression is the process of learning relationships between inputs and continuous outputs from example data, which enables predictions for novel inputs. There are many kinds of regression algorithms, and the aim of this book is to explain which is the right one to use for each set of problems and how to prepare real-world data for it. With this book you will learn to define a simple regression problem and evaluate its performance. The book will help you understand how to properly parse a dataset, clean it, and create an output matrix optimally built for regression. You will begin with a simple regression algorithm to solve some data science problems and then progress to more complex algorithms. The book will enable you to use regression models to predict outcomes and take critical business decisions. Through the book, you will gain knowledge to use Python for building fast better linear models and to apply the results in Python or in any computer language you prefer.
Style and approach
This is a practical tutorial-based book. You will be given an example problem and then supplied with the relevant code and how to walk through it. The details are provided in a step by step manner, followed by a thorough explanation of the math underlying the solution. This approach will help you leverage your own data using the same techniques.
- ISBN: 9781783980741 |
- Hardcover: 312 pages |
- Publisher: Packt Publishing |
- Publication date: Feb 29, 2016 |
- Language: English |
- Format: Ebook