Over 90 recipes to get you creating modern, fast, and high-quality games with C++
About This Book
- Level up your game programming skills with insightful recipes on building games in C++
- Analyze the less commonly discussed problems with C++ applications to develop the best games
- Improve the performance of your games with the new multi-threading and networking features of C++11
Who This Book Is For
This book is ideal for aspiring game developers who are proficient in C++ programming and are interested in developing games with C++. Some basic knowledge of game programming will be useful but is not necessary.
What You Will Learn
- Explore the basics of game development to build great and effective features for your game
- Develop your first text-based game using the various concepts of object-oriented programming
- Use algorithms when developing games with various sorting and searching techniques
- Exploit data structures in a game's development for data storage
- Create your first 2D game using GDI library and sprite sheet.
- Build your first advanced 2D game of space invaders using patterns such as observer, fly-weight, abstract factory, command, state, and more
C++ is one of the preferred languages for game development as it supports a variety of coding styles that provides low-level access to the system. C++ is still used as a preferred game programming language by many as it gives game programmers control of the entire architecture, including memory patterns and usage. However, there is little information available on how to harness the advanced features of C++ to build robust games.
This book will teach you techniques to develop logic and game code using C++. The primary goal of this book is to teach you to create high-quality games using C++ game programming scripts and techniques, regardless of the library or game engine you use. It will show you how to make use of the object-oriented capabilities of C++ so you can write well-structured and powerful games of any genre. The book also explores important areas such as physics programming and audio programming, and gives you other useful tips and tricks to improve your code.
By the end of this book, you will be competent in game programming using C++, and will be able to develop your own games in C++.
Style and approach
Every recipe of this guide covers a task that will help you build different aspects of a game, such as taking player input and displaying the output, using control flow to implement decision making, and so on. Each recipe begins with gentle introduction and key concepts, has illustrated examples of use, and ends with a detailed but informative description of the inner workings.
- ISBN: 9781785882432 |
- Hardcover: 346 pages |
- Publisher: Packt Publishing |
- Publication date: May 30, 2016 |
- Language: English |
- Format: Ebook