Learn how to develop an ace game for your iOS device, using Sprite Kit
About This Book
- Learn about the Sprite Kit engine and create games on the iOS platform from the ground up
- Acquaint your Sprite Kit knowledge with Swift programming and turn your 2D game conceptualization into reality in no time
- An abridged and focused guide to develop an exhaustive mobile game
Who This Book Is For
This book is for beginners who want to start their game development odyssey in the iOS platform. If you are an intermediate or proficient game developer hailing from a different development platform, this book will be a perfect gateway to the Sprite Kit engine. The reader does not need to have any knowledge of Sprite Kit and building games on the iOS platform.
What You Will Learn
- Learn about the Sprite Kit game engine and create indie games in no time
- Set sail on the quest of game development career by successfully creating a runner game
- Know more about the IDE provided by Apple for game development – Xcode
- Get an overview of Apple's latest programming language, Swift
- Discover the functionalities of scenes and nodes in a game
- Explore how physics bodies work and how to add this feature into your game
- Grasp knowledge of particle effect and shaders
- Add a scoring system into your game to visualize high scores
Game development has always been an exciting subject for game enthusiasts and players and iOS game development takes a big piece of this cake in terms of perpetuating growth and creativity. With the newest version of iOS and Sprite Kit, comes a series of breathtaking features such as Metal rendering support, camera nodes, and a new and improved Scene Editor.
Conceptualizing a game is a dream for both young and old. Sprite Kit is an exciting framework supported by Apple within the iOS development environment. With Sprite Kit, creating stunning games has become an easy avenue.
Starting with the basics of game development and swift language, this book will guide you to create your own fully functional game. Dive in and learn how to build and deploy a game on your iOS platform using Sprite Kit game engine.
Go on a detailed journey of game development on the iOS platform using the Sprite Kit game engine. Learn about various features implemented in iOS 8 that further increase the essence of game development using Sprite Kit. Build an endless runner game and implement features like physics bodies, character animations, scoring and other essential elements in a game. You will successfully conceive a 2D game along with discovering the path to reach the pinnacle of iOS game development.
By the end of the book, you will not only have created an endless runner game but also have in-depth knowledge of creating larger games on the iOS platform.
Style and approach
An easy-to-follow, comprehensive guide that makes your learning experience more intriguing by gradually developing a Sprite Kit game. This book discusses each topic in detail making sure you attain a clear vision of the subject.
- ISBN: 9781785283239 |
- Hardcover: 220 pages |
- Publisher: Packt Publishing |
- Publication date: Aug 27, 2015 |
- Language: English |
- Format: Ebook