Master the basics of Unreal Engine 4 to build stunning video games
About This Book
- Get to grips with the user interface of Unreal Engine 4 and find out more about its various robust features
- Create dream video games with the help of the different tools Unreal Engine 4 offers
- Create video-games and fully utilize the power of Unreal Engine 4 to bring games to life through this step-by-step guide
Who This Book Is For
If you have a basic understanding of working on a 3D environment and you are interested in video game development, then this book is for you. A solid knowledge of C++ will come in handy.
What You Will Learn
- Download both the binary and source version of Unreal Engine 4 and get familiar with the UI
- Get to know more about the Material Editor and how it works
- Add a post process to the scene and alter it to get a unique look for your scene
- Acquaint yourself with the unique and exclusive feature of Unreal Engine 4—Blueprints
- Find out more about Static and Dynamic lighting and the difference between various lights
- Use Matinee to create cut scenes
- Create a health bar for the player with the use of Unreal Motion Graphics (UMG)
- Get familiar with Cascade Particle Editor
Unreal Engine 4 is a complete suite of game development tools that gives you power to develop your game and seamlessly deploy it to iOS and Android devices. It can be used for the development of simple 2D games or even stunning high-end visuals. Unreal Engine features a high degree of portability and is a tool used by many game developers today.
This book will introduce you to the very popular Unreal 4 engine with hands-on instructions to build stunning video games. You will begin by creating a new project or prototype by learning the essentials of Unreal engine, then you'll get an understanding of how the World Browser can help to improve performance of our game. Next, we'll create a level of detailed models and materials to further improve performance. After that, you'll see how to import textures, create different materials, and see what materials can do in terms of post-processing. Finally, you will get acquainted with the Paper2D tool and the blueprints system to further increase our project's performance with Engine's scalability tools.
Style and approach
This step-by-step guide will help you gain practical knowledge about Unreal Engine through detailed descriptions of all the tools offered by Unreal Engine.
- ISBN: 9781784398453 |
- Hardcover: 266 pages |
- Publisher: Packt Publishing |
- Publication date: Feb 25, 2016 |
- Language: English |
- Format: Ebook