The Slack group messaging system can be overwhelming, but with Glenn Fleishman's real-world advice, new users can come up to speed quickly, and more experienced users will find numerous techniques for participating more efficiently.
Slack is all about communication, so you'll learn how to write, edit, and react to messages; use snippets, posts, and audio calls to collaborate with team members; and create and manage both channels and direct message conversations.
You'll also see how to configure Slack's flexible notification system so you're alerted appropriately but not nagged. Plus, Glenn covers how to search old messages effectively, how to make Slack your control center by centralizing reports from other services via integrations, and numerous techniques for improving your productivity in (and with) Slack.
Questions answered for you in this book include:
- How do people find and enter those little emoji icons in messages?
- Is there any way to edit the message I just posted so I can fix a mistake?
- Are there more channels in my Slack team? How do I find them?
- What does it mean when names in the sidebar are bold or italic?
- What do the numbers next to channel or conversation names indicate?
- How can I reduce the number of notifications I get on my iPhone?
- Can I have Slack send me email for important notifications?
- How private are direct messages? What about private channels?
- What, exactly is Slackbot, and why is it talking to me?
- How do I find old conversations from last month?
- What techniques can I employ to be more productive in Slack?
- ISBN: 9781492017363 |
- Hardcover: 185 pages |
- Publisher: TidBITS |
- Publication date: May 29, 2016 |
- Language: English |
- Format: Ebook