This book is intended for use in a first course on engineering design and optimization. Material for the text has evolved over a period of several years and is based on classroom presentations for an undergraduate core course on the principles of design. Virtually any problem for which certain parameters need to be determined to satisfy constraints can be formulated as a design optimization problem. The concepts and methods described in the text are quite general and applicable to all such formulations. Inasmuch, the range of application of the optimum design methodology is almost limitless, constrained only by the imagination and ingenuity of the user. The book describes the basic concepts and techniques with only a few simple applications. Once they are clearly understood, they can be applied to many other advanced applications that are discussed in the text.
* Allows engineers involved in the design process to adapt optimum design concepts in their work using the material in the text.
* Basic concepts of optimality conditions and numerical methods are described with simple examples, making the material high teachable and learnable.
* Classroom-tested for many years to attain optimum pedagogical effectiveness.
- ISBN: 9780080470252 |
- Hardcover: 728 pages |
- Publisher: Elsevier Science |
- Publication date: Jun 2, 2004 |
- Language: English |
- Format: Ebook