Although relatively young in terms of its lifespan as a regulator, the Competition Commission of India (established by the Competition Act of 2002 but came into existence in 2009) has been extremely assertive in its enforcement outlook, and competition law in India continues to grow in importance as inward investment increases. This comprehensive, practical guide outlines the highly distinctive manner in which competition law is interpreted in this major global market.
Highlighting differences from EU practice, the author – a leading Indian competition law practitioner – describes elements of practice and procedures in Indian competition law encompassing the following:
- • the dual regulatory-judicial nature of the Competition Commission;
- • investigatory powers of the Commission's Director General;
- • mandated business conduct policies (e.g., active risk management procedures);
- • availability of sanctions, remedies, and private actions;
- • cartels and leniency programmes;
- • extraterritorial application of the Competition Commission;
- • merger review;
- • pricing and non-pricing abuse;
- • international coordination;
- • appeal process;
- • fines – companies, directors and officers;
- • fines for non-cooperation or furnishing false information; and
- • liability of state-owned enterprises.
Analysis of numerous leading cases decided by the Indian competition authorities enhances the book's practical value.
This comprehensive guide provides an incomparable overview of practice in a key jurisdiction that is poised to become increasingly important in the international recognition and enforcement of competition law. As a guide to the 'landscape' of competition law in India, it has no peers. The book will be of inestimable value to professionals in this area of legal practice, whether in law firms, corporations, academia, government or the judiciary, as well as to investors, economists and business executives.
- ISBN: 9789041169242 |
- Hardcover: 346 pages |
- Publisher: Wolters Kluwer Law & Business |
- Publication date: Mar 24, 2016 |
- Language: English |
- Format: Ebook