Biased Signaling in Physiology, Pharmacology and Therapeutics is a unique and essential reference for the scientific community concerning how conformational-dependent activation is a common phenomenon across many classes of receptors or signaling molecules. It discusses the role of conformational dynamics in leading to signaling bias across different classes of receptors and signaling molecules. By providing a broader view of signaling bias, this resource helps to explain common mechanisms shared across receptor classes and how this can be utilized to elucidate their cellular activity and better understand their therapeutic potential.
Written for both new and established scientists in pharmacology, cell biology, biochemistry, and signal transduction, as well as physicians, this book clearly illustrates how biased receptor signaling can be utilized to develop and understand complex pharmacology. Chapters are each focused on a specific class of receptor or other important topic and make use of real-world examples illustrating how the latest research in signal transduction has led to a better understanding of pharmacology and cell biology. This structure creates a basis for understanding that physiological signalling bias has been selected by nature in order to provide complex and tissue- specific biological responses in the face of limited receptors and signaling pathways. This book provides a framework to reveal that these physiological mechanisms are not restricted to one receptor type or family and thus presents receptor signaling from a newer, more global perspective.
- Offers a unique and valuable resource on biased receptor signaling that provides a global view for better understanding pharmacology across many receptor families
- Integrates biased receptor signaling, physiology, and pharmacology to place this emerging science within the context of treating disease
- Includes important chapters on both the pharmaceutical and therapeutic implications of biased signaling
- ISBN: 9780124115071 |
- Hardcover: 316 pages |
- Publisher: Elsevier Science |
- Publication date: Jun 5, 2014 |
- Language: English |
- Format: Ebook